Sophia's husband John Snider
was born 5 Feb. 1804 and died 8 Apr 1850.
He was the son of George
(abt. 1771 - 1842) and Barbara O'Neal.
He is buried at the Ash
- Snider Cemetery in southern
The Two John Snider
John & Mary
Nycum / Snider Family
John Snider / Snyder b: June
18, 1798 d: April 26, 1875
+Mary A. Nycum b: November 06, 1798 d: August 20, 1880
1. Leonard Nycum Snider b: January 31, 1825 d: August 27, 1908
2. Henry Snider b: March 1829 d: 1917
+Rebecca Fletcher b: August 1833 m: Abt. 1873 d: 1918
3. Delilah Snider b: August 22, 1833 d: December 19, 1915
+Michael H. Fletcher b: May 07, 1838 m: September 20, 186 0 d: August
4. David Snider b: Abt. 1836
5. Mary Snider b: Abt. 1838
6. John Wesley Snider b: August 24, 1840 d: December 16, 1924
7. Infant Snider b: 1832
John & Sophia
Nycum / Snider Family
John Snider / Snyder b: December 02, 1803 d: May 03, 1850
+Sophia Nycum b: March 03, 1800 m: Bet. 1820 -1825 d: November
1. Jonathan Snider b: February 18, 1832 d: October 24, 1864 (more)
2. Catherine N. Snider b: November 03, 1833
3. Joseph Nycum Snider
/ Snyder b: May 31, 1835 d: 1911
+Martha Ann Kendall b: February 04, 1851 d: 1933
4. Rebecca Snider b: July 24, 1836
5. George Wesley Snider b: May 07, 1838 (more)
6. Leonard Nycum Snider b: April 02, 1840 d: October 22, 1900
7. John William Snider b: January 29, 1842
8. Eve Ann Snider b: February 22, 1844
Both Mary and Sophia named
sons Leonard Nycum Snider.
Mary's son Leonard was born
Jan 31, 1825 and died Aug 27, 1908 per his tombstone.
He is buried near his mother
at Bethel Reformed Church Cemetery.
Sophia's son Leonard was
born 2 Apr 1840 and died 21 or 22 Oct 1900.
He is believed to be buried
in Teller Co, Colorado.
Both Leonards served in
the Civil War:
Mary's son served in a Missouri
and Sophia's son is believed
to have served in an Illinois Infantry unit.
Moreover, according to family
records, each sister named children: John (one
a Wesley, the other a William), Rebecca/Rebeccah, and Catherine
Leonard Nycum Snider - April 02, 1840
- October 22, 1900
Vivian has found additional
information on Leonard, son of John & Sophia Nycum / Snider:
in the military August 17, 1861 from Berlin, Sangamon Co, Illinois
(south of Springfield)
and was mustered out
with his unit July 20, 1865 in Springfield, Illinois, rank of
According to the unit
history, this unit was organized August 31, 1861 and was assigned
initially to protect
lower Illinois and Missouri
railroads. They later moved south and were involved in action
near Corinth, Vicksburg, Jackson and Memphis. In 1864 the unit
was part of the Atlanta campaign and the siege
of Savannah. Leonard
served for the entire length of his unit and apparently was never
even though he was involved
in some well-known campaigns.
In his Penison Application, the final declaration for pension
says: "Ratable at $6 under Act of June 27, 1890 for varicose
veins of both legs. No other disability affecting rate."
This is dated October 6, 1900--he died
on October 11, 1900 so
it appears likely he never received any pension and had no survivors
to place a claim.
Leonard Snider died in
an Old Soldier's Home in Cripple Creek or Anaconda, Teller County,
He is buried in Teller
County in the Veteran's Section at Mt. Pisgah Cemetery.
His tombstone reads "L.
N. Snyder, Co D 26 ILL Inf.'"
Vivian sends a picture of
another member of the John & Sophia Snider Family.
"There are only a few
photos of Joseph and in all of them he is elderly. I am amazed
at the resemblance
between Joseph and Leonard
even though their photos were taken many years apart."
Joseph N. &
Martha Ann Kendall / Snider Family
This photo shows my great-grandfather
Joseph N. Snider and his wife, Martha Ann Kendall.
In back are their sons Perl
Marion and Roy and my grandmother Nora May .
JOSEPH N. SNIDER b. May 31, 1835
Clearidge, Bedford Co, PA m. 11-13-1873 Mason City, Illinois
d. Jan. 21, 1911 Okanogan,
Okanogan Co. WA buried in Cherry Flat Cem., Okanogan, WA
Martha Ann Kendall/Kindle
b. Feb. 04, 1851 dau. of Jeremiah
and Rachel Shoulders
m. 2nd Elihu N. Bragg d. July 9, 1933, Okanogan, WA buried in Cherry
Flat Cem., Okanogan, WA
1. Nora May Snider b. 27 May 1874 Mason City, Ill d. 19 Nov. 1969
She: m. 1) Jotham M. Freeman 11 Aug. 1898 Omaha, Nebraska he d. 1-21-1900
Sioux City, Iowa
m.2) Cyrus J. Hinshaw 14 May 1913 Okanogan, WA
Martha Grace Hinshaw; m. Floyd K. Byrd
(my mother; living; 3 children, 5 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren)
(Nora was a schoolteacher and taught in Omaha, Nebraska; after
the death of her first husband she went to New England where
his family lived and she remained several years, teaching in
Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire. She moved to Okanogan,
WA about 1910 and also taught school there.)
2. Ralph Casper Snider b. 28 Feb. 1876 Mason City, Ill; d. 29 Apr.
1877, Mason City, Ill
3. Lucillah Snider b. 8 June 1878 ; d. 17 July 1878 Shenandoah,
4. Cora Bessie Snider b. 17 July 1879; d. 29 July 1879 Shenandoah,
5. Perl Marion Snider b. 10 Jan 1881 Shenandoah, Iowa; d. 24 Jan.
1956, Tacoma, WA m. Grace Short
1. Ralph Marion Snider b. 24 Oct. 1906; d. 2 Feb. 1989; m. Frances
2. Ruth Snider b. 19 Sep.1909 (deceased)
3. Eldon Robert Snider b. 21 Aug. 1913 (deceased)
4. Harold Wayne Snider b. 16 Apr 1923; d. 31 Dec. 1999
6. Roy Irvin Snider b. 8 May 1883 Shenandoah, Iowa; d. 7 Jan. 1939
Cincinnati, Oh m. Edith Davis
(she d. 1939)
1. Daugher stillborn
2. Phillip Snider b. 25 May 1917; d. 12 June 1919
7. Daughter stillborn 27 May 1891, Omaha, Nebraska
8. Son b. 4 May 1887; d. 8 May 1887, Omaha, Nebraska
by Vivian Elvidge
Joseph N. Snider
and Eve Ann Snider / Kennedy
This photo of Joseph and
his youngest sister was taken in Nebraska in about 1906.
They had not seen one another
for 45 years when he had left Bedford Co, PA.
Eve Ann (known as Aunt Ann)
was married to John Kennedy and they had several children.
After John died, she moved
around a bit and even took out a land claim in Colorado.
by Vivian Elvidge
/ Marsh - July 24, 1836 - January
Rebecca Snider / Marsh, another
daughter of John Snider and Sophia Nycum.
This photo was taken about 1913 in Springfield, Illinois where
She was married to Clinton
Sophia Nycum and John Snider
were my great-great grandparents. Who were the
parents of Mary's husband John Snider? A curious thing but one to keep the
descendants on their toes.
If you have information
for Vivian that may help answer this question, please contact