Bedford County , Pennsylvania
Photos of People & Places
Abraham & Elizabeth Harclerode / Bussard

Barndollar, Bussard, Conner, Coontz, Coulter, Elliot, Exline, Fisher, Harclerode, Hershiser, Hollar, Howard, Long, Lutz, Miley, Moore, Mower, Parker, Paxton, Putmin, Ritchey, Runckel, Smith, Sparks, Steckman, Tate, Whetstone

Robert Bussard has contributed a second installment to his excellent article on the Bussard Family.
This describes the Abraham Bussard Family after their arrival in Bedford County.
Please send your questions, comments, and additional information to Bob at:

The exact date that Abraham Bussard of Frederick County, Maryland, may have gone to Bedford County,
Pennsylvania, is not known. The first record found was the purchase of 60 3/4 acres of land from
Abraham Miley called "Miley's Fancy" in Friends Cove, Colerain Township, Bedford County,
on June 9, 1791, for 36 pounds Pennsylvania currency.
Abraham and Elizabeth Harclerode (daughter of John Harclerode) probably were married
in Bedford County. Their first child, John, was born July 18, 1792.
John Harclerode (Harkleroad/Herchelroth/Hergelroth) came with the migration
of families from Loudoun County, Virginia, to Colerain Township. Records of Loudoun County
show John Harkleroad leased 135 acres in the Parish of Shelburne, on March 18, 1785.
From records of itinerant pastor John William Runckel of Evangelical Reformed Church,
Frederick, Maryland: Elisabeth Hergelroth [no age given] was among a list of young people
confirmed in Loudoun County, Virginia, on August 29, 1789, and on the following day took communion.
John Harclerode first appears in Colerain Township in the 1790 Federal Census. He purchased
332 acres of land in the same township on February 4, 1791. His will of January 22, 1814,
probated January 26, 1814, mentioned that his children should share equally in his estate.
The estate was in Court for several years, particularly Common Pleas sessions of April and
August 1823, before Abraham and Elizabeth received their share.*
Abraham and Elizabeth sold their land in Colerain Township on October 27, 1794 to Lewis Hershiser
for 120 pounds Pa. currency. On September 16, 1795, Abraham entered into an agreement to
purchase one half of a 200 acre tract called "Union" along Bloody Run in Providence Township from
William and John Paxton for 160 pounds. The land had been surveyed pursuant to a warrant granted
to William Paxton and Michael Barndollar. Abraham was to pay 60 pounds at execution of the agreement
and the balance in three equal yearly installments, the first of which was to be made on April 1, 1797;
and, he punctually fulfilled his part of the agreement. William Paxton had promised to deliver a clear patent from the Commonwealth, but he died before making a deed to Abraham. At Orphans Court, May 20, 1799, Catherine Paxton and Frederick Coontz, administrators of the estate of William Paxton,
requested authority to make a good title to this land to Abraham Buzzard, and their request was approved.
It was not until the Orphans Court at April Session of 1809 settled all legal matters between the parties
that Abraham was able to get a clear title to his half of the land, for which the survey returned 94 acres.
This land and improvement (house and buildings) was located on the north side of the Raystown Branch of the
Juniata River, and on both sides of the State Road (now US Route 30) in the village of Bloody Run
(now Everett), adjoining land of James Elliot on the east and Charles Sparks on the west. Also, by the
agreement of September 16, 1795, Abraham agreed to let William Paxton have one half of the limestone quarry
on this land for 10 pounds. [This quarry is still visible at the west end of Everett across from the bridge.]
On March 30, 1805, Abraham obtained a warrant for 44 acres with an improvement (later called
"Friendship"), on both sides of the State Road, adjoining his land and that of Charles Sparks.
At that time he had a total of 138 acres of land in what is now Everett. Both of these tracts were
sold to Samuel Tate, Innkeeper, on April 8, 1809.
During the time that Abraham owned this land he operated a "Public House of Entertainment for travellers and others in the house where he lives on the Great Road from Bedford to Philadelphia." On January 25, 1796 he applied for a license to sell liquor, but was rejected. Then on July 1, 1796 he was cited for tippling (selling
liquor without a license). His petition for tavern license was approved May 1801 and again in August 1803.
He also signed petitions recommending the approval of tavern license for Joseph Coulter,
Michael Howard, and others.
At a Court of General Quarter Sessions of August 1802, several inhabitants petitioned the Court to have a
public road laid out from Abraham Bussard's to intersect the road leading from present day Breezewood to
Hancock, Maryland. The Court approved the appointed committee's recommendations, and a survey of
November 12 and 13, 1802 laid out the 8-3/4 miles of road, beginning at the dwelling house of Abraham Bussard and intersecting present day Route 126 at the dwelling house of William Conner.
Abraham was involved in the civic matters of early Bedford County. He served on the Grand Jury of the
General Quarter Sessions Court at various times. At the January 1825 Session of Common Pleas Court,
Abraham Bussard, Michael Ritchey, James Moore, Valentine Hollar, and Peter Barndollar
were appointed to lay out a road from John Lutz's fulling mill in Providence Township to the
Bedford - McConnellsburg turnpike. The group's recommendations for layout of the road were
approved by the Court, and it was ordered to be built, at their August 1825 session.
Abraham was also involved in numerous court battles over the years with neighbors; sometimes winning, sometimes losing, but always settling differences in a civilized manner.
On April 27, 1811, Abraham purchased 300 acres in Providence Township from Henry and Jean Hollar,
previously warranted by George Smith on September 2, 1785. These acres adjoined Cloe Sparks on
the south, Tussey Mountain on the west, Warrior Ridge on the east, and the survey of Charles Sparks
on the north. On May 31, 1816, he purchased an additional 103 acres at the foot of Warrior Ridge from
Daniel and Elizabeth
Long. Both of these tracts are located in Black Valley, West Providence Twp.,
about 3 miles south of Everett, Pa.
Abraham and Elizabeth lived the rest of their lives on these lands. Abraham eventually turned the property over to son, John. Some of this property still remains with their direct descendants. The site of their dwelling house near a large rock, at the foot of Tussey Mountain, is now the new home site of their descendant. The Bussard Family Cemetery is across Black Valley on top of Warrior Ridge.
photos 1982
Location of Abraham and Elizabeth Bussard's home, near the foot of Tussey Mt. (as it appeared in 1982).
photo 5/2000
Same site as it appeared in May 2000
The exact death dates of Abraham and Elizabeth are not known. It is believed that Elizabeth died sometime between recording of the 1840 and 1850 censuses. In the 1850 census, Abraham was 82 years and was living with son John. He evidently died before the 1860 census. They are probably buried in the Bussard Cemetery.
The known children of Abraham and Elizabeth Bussard were:

John, born 18 July 1792, died 6 April 1872, married Christina
Eckline/Exline, born 5 March 1799,
died 26 July 1890. John and Christina are buried in the Bussard Cemetery.

Daniel, born 11 February 1797, died 10 March 1859, married 5 October 1826, Sarah "Sallie"
Smith, born
about 1806, died 8 August 1890. Daniel is probably buried in the Bussard Cemetery. Sarah is buried in
Union Church Cemetery, Schellsburg, Bedford County, with daughter Elizabeth Whetstone and family.
Samuel, born about 4 October 1799, died 11 October 1875, married Susan Mower, born about 1802, died 1 October 1879. Samuel and Susan are buried in Trinity Reformed Church Cemetery, Friends Cove.

Catherine, born about 1800 (50 on 1850 census) married ______

Elizabeth, born 28 September 1801, died 29 September 1853, married George
born 2 October 1793, died 13 September 1853, son of John Steckman. Elizabeth and George
are buried in Steckman Family Cemetery, in Black Valley.

Abraham H., born about 20 December 1802, died 20 September 1864, married Rachel _______, born
about 17 December 1806, died 21 July 1875. Abraham H. and Rachel are buried in Mt. Zion Evangelical
Lutheran Church Cemetery, Ray's Hill (Breezewood).

Henry, born after 1800, married 8 December 1831, Elizabeth

This information is from records of Bedford County, Pa. - Deeds, Wills, Death records, Orphans Court, Common Pleas Court, Court of General Quarter Sessions; also, Federal Censuses, cemetery recordings,
newspaper articles, Loudoun County, Va. Land Records, and Frederick, Md. Evangelical Reformed Church records. Details of these sources can be provided.
*More information about the Harclerode family can be found in "The Pioneer," published quarterly
by the Pioneer Historical Society of Bedford County, Bedford, Pa., Volume 9, No. 1, January 1983,
'A Home in the Promised Land,' by Glenna Fisher.)

If you have additional information, comments, or questions relating to the Bussard Family, Bob would be most interested in hearing from you. Please contact him at:

I am very interested in hearing about your Bedford County Family. If you have questions on how to send your information or photos, or any additional comments, please contact me at:
Copyright © 1999, 2000 Tom Clabaugh